Saturday, July 18, 2009

Boys and their books

Since Brett takes a little longer to eat Jackson and Peyton are usually in the playroom while I finish with Brett in the kitchen. Every once in awhile it gets really quiet and I think - 'Oh gosh what are they into now?' and have to pop up and check. But lately every time I've checked they each have a book in front of them and are "reading".

Here's a photo I snuck of them the last time they were doing this:

For a book lover like me I cannot tell you how happy I get when I see this. I love to read. It has always been one of my favorite things to do. When I was told I would be on bed rest with the boys I was searching for a bright side and realized I would have endless hours to read. Awesome right? Well it didn't exactly work out that way. For some reason I didn't have the focus to get into a book. I had stacks next to my bed. Some things I'd been meaning to get to, books lent to me by Tate's aunt in Tennessee and passed along by my Mom. Every now and then I would crack one open but was never able to get past a first chapter. So that was a bummer. But instead I read lots of magazines and books about pregnancy and parenting - mostly little snippets here and there. Most of the time I would read them out loud. I hoped the boys would enjoy reading and wanted to give them a heads start! I know they are still young, but they LOVE their books. We have one shelf in the playroom at their level so they can pull down what they want to read or just pull them all down (about 1,000 times a day). But many times throughout the day one of them will bring me a book and sit on my lap and turn the pages and point to pictures. Brett loves books, especially the touch and feel kind that have things like hair on the lion's mane for him to touch. Peyton is recently into a couple I Spy books where there are objects you have to find and Jackson favors a little board book called Mighty Movers that has all kinds of vehicles pictured and labeled inside. They all love their Big Truck Book, several animal books and a cute book called That's Not My Dinosaur!
We've read Good Night Moon to them as part of their bedtime routine since they were a few months old and while Tate and I are a little tired of it and can recite it without looking - the boys love it and Peyton will take the book and turn the pages and can say words from many of the pages - moon, cow, kitten, bears. I know it is awhile until they are actually reading, but I hope this continues. Of course I worry one of these times it will be really quiet and I'll just think to myself - 'They're probably just reading' - and later find them into something I never could have imagined!
Here are some more photos of them reading:
Peyton shows Jackson the I Spy
Daddy reading to Peyton, Brett & Jackson

2 Comments:

At July 21, 2009 at 8:30 PM , Blogger auntienancy said...

Don't worry if they are quiet. They ARE probably reading...........or eating ants. :)

 
At July 26, 2009 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Krista said...

That is so cool that your boys love books. Passing on a love for reading has always been one of my goals when I had children. I can totally emphathize with the difficulty getting through a book while on bedrest. I found that even though I had all this time, it was hard for me to focus.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home