Sunday, June 7, 2009

What we eat

Since I have three sisters and no brothers I don't have much of a frame of reference for boys. But when we learned we were having 3 boys for some reason my mind jumped ahead to the teenage years and not what, but how much, they will eat. Funny where your mind takes you. But this thought continues to stick with me. I remember when we were teenagers opening and shutting every cabinet and then standing in front of an open refrigerator saying (or maybe whining) "there's nothing to eat". When there was a house full of food. But even as girls we ate our fair share of food - especially during busy sports seasons.

So everybody was always wondering when the boys were born how much they would eat - when they first came home and ate every two hours we were fixing about 36 bottles a day - although they didn't eat much it took them forever to finish and it felt like you were always feeding! Then we went to every three hours - about 24 bottles a day. And now it isn't so much the bottles and sippie cups it's the actual food.
Just at breakfast we go through almost two whole large bananas between the three boys. So that is 14 bananas a week! The boys are recently on a hot dog kick and Jackson & Peyton will eat 5 hot dogs between the two of them for lunch - plus a vegetable and formula (a growth spurt???)! Brett is still on pureed foods but he eats almost 3/4 of a banana, and several ounces of pureed food five times a day. No complaints though - we have worked very hard to help him coordinate his tongue, mouth etc. to eat - so it is a joy to see him enjoy his food!

Jackson will pretty much eat whatever you put in front of him. He loves his vegetables and has the ability to eat the inside of the green bean and spit out the shell and even eat the inside of a pea and spit out the shell! Here is a short video of him eating a whole nectarine - he got his hands on it and just got busy eating! Notice I don't have to worry about him choking on the skins. (That is Peyton commentating - he things Jackson has a basketball :)

Peyton is also a good eater - he loves his chicken and turkey and gobbles it up fast.
So I'm back to feeling like all I'm doing is feeding them - and so my fear intensifies - if two boys can eat 5 hot dogs at 13 months old - how many hot dogs will we have to fix when they are 16?
Since we are outdoors more the boys like to suck on rocks and eat dirt - I guess there's always that as a backup. Doesn't seem to bother Peyton!

4 Comments:

At June 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM , Blogger auntienancy said...

Sounds like one of those grade school math problems...."If 2 boys can eat 5 hot dogs at 13 months old, how many hot dogs will we have to fix when they are 16?"

Ummmm........80? Forget it - I was never a big fan of math! :)

Good luck with that, Sister! :) I will be happy to treat the boys to a hot dog at a White Sox game from time to time. Will that help? :)

 
At June 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow, that's a lot of hot dogs!!! My pedi told me at the boys 1 year check-up that parents number one complaint at the 15 month check-up is that their children don't want to eat... doesn't look like you are going to have that problem :-).
And I LOVE the video. I watched it a few times, and laughed each time when I heard Peyton saying "ball, my ball". too funny!

 
At June 8, 2009 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Sandie-Matthew's Mom said...

Your boys are sooo cute! I laughed at the end with the rocks and dirt eating comment. That's funny. I can recall my own little boy (who wouldn't eat any texture foods and strictly ate pureed foods) eating handfuls of sand while at the beach one time and laughing. Such a cute video of Peyton eating. I am SO glad that Brett is eating by mouth and loving his pureed foods. I will continue to keep him in my prayers and believe that soon he will be tasting and trying little bits and pieces of food on that spoonful of pureed foods. I really enjoy your blog. Thank you for sharing. :)

 
At June 10, 2009 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Knutson said...

Your boys are just adorable! When they are 16, they can have 5 brats instead...does that help? Ours doesn't like to open his mouth to eat food so he definitely doesn't get that from me. Ha. Ha. What a blessing to have healthy eaters!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home