Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Adapting

We have been blessed to be able to purchase special chairs and a stander through Early Intervention and to borrow a walker to help Brett. Despite all the products out there I find myself constantly saying "if we could only..." make that chair higher, make his car seat more comfortable, make it easier for him to play with that toy and the list goes on. With help from his therapists and our family we have learned how to "MacGyver" odds and ends to help Brett with everyday activities - a piece of Velcro here - a bit of foam there. But I wanted to share the latest. It started as an idea I turned over in my head for awhile. I shared it with Tate and he mulled it over and made some adjustments. Auntie Kiki added some feedback. Granddad cut some wood.
This is the result:


What made Brett smile so much?
Daddy adapted our Choo Choo Wagon so Brett could ride too! An old high chair seat, some wood, screws and a bungee cord and Brett can now ride too. I love our wagon and when the boys were big enough to ride in it I was sad that Brett wasn't able to sit in it. Jackson & Peyton have gone in the wagon while Brett was in a stroller and it always made me a bit sad.
On our inaugural ride Monday night Brett talked and giggled the whole time. He wasn't the only one with a big smile!


4 Comments:

At August 25, 2010 at 7:41 AM , Blogger pyjammy pam said...

Love it! :)

 
At August 25, 2010 at 12:00 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

That's just awesome!!! Very creative, and after seeing how much Brett loves riding in the choo-choo, well worth all the thought and effort!!!

 
At August 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Sandie-Matthew's Mom said...

Chugga Chugga Choo Choo Wonderful!!!!

Now that's a story with a very happy ending. :)

 
At September 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Araceli Sandoval (Brianna and Hailey's mommy) said...

OOOH NO I have been MISSING OUT ON PB&J... when I first came across your blog in 2009 I kept checking in to see if you had updated on Brett and of course Jackson and Payton too and there was no update. I finally (shamefully) gave up and stopped checking and then HORRAY today (oh and I am so glad I did) I checked thinking I would come across the same picture and post of May 09 2009 but I didnt I found months of updates and pictures and my heart couldnt be happier! I have some catching up to do.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home