Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Say ahhh!

We survived our first trip to the dentist. In hindsight it wasn't too bad. The visit really shows how very different their personalities are, which was kind of interesting to see.
Tate and I started talking up the dentist a few days before and immediately Jackson said "no dentist" he did not want to go and for the life of me I cannot figure out how he would even know what a dentist does. I don't remember encountering it in a book or TV show. Peyton joined the chorus of "no dentist" and somewhere along the line it turned into "no dentist come over". I don't know why they thought he came to the house, but we explained we were going to visit him and it wasn't until I said they had toys in the waiting room that they seemed ok with the idea.
All the books and magazines tell you to bring your child to the dentist at the eruption of the first tooth. This seemed a little early to me so I took them when they had most of their baby teeth. Plus I had a few concerns about the discoloration on Brett's teeth and the spacing between them. I had trouble finding a dentist with experience with children with special needs who was taking new patients.
We couldn't have been more impressed with Dr. L. His office called to tell us he was running about a half hour behind and had us come a little later. When we walked in the door we never waited. They greeted us at the door and got us right in!

The best part - 3 boys with 16 healthy teeth each!!!


When the dentist asked who was going first Jackson said Peyton and Peyton said Jackson. I volunteered Brett. He has been to a lot of doctors so most things don't bother him much. He did great up until the end when the doctor had to scrape his teeth a bit to get rid of some discoloration. But he started giggling when they put the water and suction in his mouth. He loved the sound and feel of the water suction!

Reluctantly Peyton went next. He was by far the best with the dentist. Once Dr. L. gave him a high 5 and showed him on his fingers how he was going to count his teeth Peyton was relaxed.

Peyton showed the dentist how he brushes his teeth and said ahhhh whenever asked.

When I stood up to get Jackson he said "I no want a turn" and tried to squeeze behind Tate's chair and said "I want to hide." The second I picked him up he started crying. He tends to be our dramatic one which is why I didn't want him to go first. But once the dentist started counting his fingers he realized everything was going to be ok and did a great job - although he did say "all done" about 5 times during his checkup.


Even though the dentist's office was on the first floor the boys wanted to take a ride in the elevator (or as they call it the alligator). They were so well behaved I couldn't say no. We went for two rides on the elevator taking turns pushing the button. Peyton was a little perplexed that it wasn't glass and you couldn't see outside the elevator. I told him that was the elevator at the mall he was thinking of and he kept saying "I can't see the mall" - so funny.

Since Tate and I were both off work for the appointment and the boys were so good we had a snack at a nearby park and played. Then Jackson & Peyton went to watch trains with daddy while Brett and I went to his swim therapy. Who knew going to the dentist could be so much fun?

2 Comments:

At July 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

That's awesome. Congrats to all your boys for such a successful trip to the dentist office. I hae to admit that I LOLed when I read that Jackson said "all done" so many times. I predict tha tis want all three of mine are going to do when we take ours to the dentist!
Great job boys (and mom and dad!)

 
At September 21, 2010 at 5:12 PM , Blogger Araceli Sandoval (Brianna and Hailey's mommy) said...

Way to go BOYS! I am slacking I havent taken my 3 year old to the Dentist she has been through SOOO much medically that I feel I can spare her this for a little longer (yikes and she has a feeding tube)... so glad it went well the elevator mall story is just so cute

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home