Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Preschool ends, summer begins

It feels like just yesterday I was a bundle of nerves putting Brett on the bus for the first time. Like I just had Jackson clinging to me, wiping away tears when the school bell scared him as he went into the classroom on his first day of preschool.  I can still see the big smile and even bigger backpack on Peyton as he turned around and gave me an animated wave before disappearing behind the classroom door.
But, we are heading into a new chapter. The boys are kindergartners now.
They couldn't be more excited. I found myself dealing with mixed emotions and realized I was not just sad that this stage was over, but that it was over all at once. While many of my friends will have several preschool graduations with their various aged children, I do it once and it's done. There is some sadness to the finality of that for me and I guess I better get used to it. But it just hit me like a ton of bricks.

Jackson and Peyton had a little graduation ceremony at their school and there was Peyton (right) with that same giant smile so giddy he skipped up onto the stage.


Jackson (left) took it a little more seriously, I thought, proud he is big enough to be a kindergartner. That is until he made his diploma into a telescope. On Jackson's left is Jason their "best friend" from school.



Me, Peyton, Jackson and Tate
Jackson and Peyton and again with their friend Oliver from Sunday School, who also was in a different class in their preschool.
Brett getting a hit during his classroom t-ball game - go Highland Huskies!



Brett on his last day of school.

Brett with Mr. Chris his bus driver. He loved being on his bus. Mr. Chris would decorate the inside for holidays and said Brett would fuss at him if he forgot to turn music on each day.
So by the second week in June when Brett wrapped up we were on to summer break.
Peyton with his first day of summer sun pancake.

We have a tradition once school's out for summer we head to the library and sign up for summer reading. It is one of my favorite memories of my childhood and so we use it to mark our official start to summer. This year the boys could write their names on their folders and sign ups all by themselves. After that we head across the parking lot to our local independent bookstore. The boys each get to pick out one summer read to buy. I thought we would be there all day because none of them could decide - I loved it! Jackson chose a super hero book, Brett a story about a dinosaur going to school and Peyton picked a non-fiction book highlighting some of the all star players in MLB.


Then it's across the railroad tracks to the local ice cream shop. 

Peyton loves cherry ice cream - just like Great Grammy always did.

Jackson went with Superman ice cream - no surprise there.

Brett doesn't love the cold of ice cream, but shared a strawberry shake with me and ate all the whipped cream.
The boys again attended Vacation Bible School at our church. They loved it. It's a long week of high energy singing, dancing and fun and they are exhausted by Friday, but so bummed when it ends. This years theme was Kingdom Rock and they made the sanctuary look like a drawbridge of a castle. So fun. Brett's Sunday School teacher's teenage daughter was his buddy this year and all three boys adored her. They keep asking me when they will get to be with Tricia again!



On June 24 just before 10 p.m. we woke the boys because we thought the Chicago Blackhawks might win the Stanley Cup - and they did!!! - we didn't want them to miss it. Brett is not pictured because he was not happy to be awake. He sat with me for a minute to see the win and then put his head down and told me he wanted to go back to bed.


Enjoying some cotton candy and popcorn at their cousin's half birthday party. The theme was the county fair with lots of yummy snacks and fun games.

The boys are playing T-ball again this summer. This year it is still instructional, but they divide the kids into teams and do half instruction and spend the second half being instructed during a game setting. Brett has a park district aid named Kelsey helping him. They were very excited to get a hat and "jersey" this year.

Brett is on the gray sharks.


Peyton is on the white tigers.

Jackson is on the gray sharks with Brett. He really was more excited than the picture shows.
I just love this picture. Brett was helping me water the roses and Peyton just jumped in for a drink from the hose - this picture just says summer to me. I hope you are all enjoying a great one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home