Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Brett's first day of school


Brett started preschool on Monday. This is the before picture.

I didn't have the heart to take an after picture because it involved sobbing.
Brett wasn't the only one who was sad.
I dropped him off, told him he was going to have a great time, hopped in the van and had to pull over before I got down the block. I sobbed too.
I am so excited about Brett's school and his amazing teachers and therapists, but Brett had never been "on his own" before without a family member.
The report from his teacher was that he loved computer time and did well until snack time when he refused to eat and it all went down hill from there. She assured me it was on par for a first day.
His sobbing broke my heart. Although he has a new computer device where he touches pictures to talk - it's new. He couldn't tell me why he was unhappy or why he didn't eat his snack.
But then he came home and had lunch. He took a good nap. When he woke he was in a great mood. We walked through his notebook from school and "talked" about what was marked in his book about him working on the computer and music therapy.
While we were doing this it began to pour rain through the sunshine and I thought 'that's exactly how today felt.' It was as if God was acknowledging what a challenge the day had been for us and the mix of emotions.
Despite the fact that I know this will be something great for Brett, I couldn't help but cry.
Despite Brett being so excited to go to school, he too cried.
Despite an emotional and challenging day, we were happy to be at the end of it.
When we woke this morning Brett helped me pick out and pack his snack and on his second day he ate and drank every bit.
Before me, Jackson and Peyton drove him to his second day at school we read "Llama Llama Misses Mama" (a story about a Llama who is sad his mom isn't with him, but then learns he can love his mom and school too) and on his second day Brett's speech therapist said he'd had a great day!
I was relieved, but not surprised. I don't think a day has gone by that this little boy hasn't amazed me in ways big or small.
I pray that each day will get easier and more comfortable for Brett and for me as well.

Brett started preschool because he aged out of the state's Early Intervention when he turned 3. It then becomes the responsibility of the school district to make sure there are no "gaps in services" and that he continues to learn and get therapy.
So, Jackson and Peyton will begin preschool in a different program in the fall. I'm excited and hesitant just thinking about it. Do I really have to go through this all over again?


1 Comments:

At May 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Jody, this post made me cry. What an amazing time in your life. I know it had to be bittersweet for Brett to go off to school with out you! But how awesome that he has the oppurtunity to do that. I can't believe our babies are getting so old. I don't know about you, but 3 is hitting me hard. Its really making me want another baby!! HA! Thanks for posting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home