Monday, December 6, 2010

Thankful

Thanksgiving Eve I intended to come home from work, put the boys to bed and write a blog about all the things I am thankful for while making some special stuffing for the boys. But, God had other plans.
Shortly after I got home Tate and I noticed Jackson's cough sounded kind of weezy. A few minutes later I asked him to sit in my lap and I could tell he was struggling to take a breath. I bundled him up and we headed to urgent care less than a mile from our house. By the time we arrived Jackson was having a hard time breathing.

A breathing treatment and a chest X-Ray later we found out he had pneumonia and they sent us to the hospital.
Jackson was feeling much better by than, but they wanted to give him intravenous steroids/antibiotics overnight and breathing treatments. Jackson, usually our dramatic one, just said "hey" when they stuck his arm to insert the needle- he never shed a tear or fussed - he was so brave.

Jackson insisted on sitting with creepy Ronald McDonald before heading up to his hospital room.
Jackson was the darling of the pediatric ward. He said hi to all the nurses (he called all of them doctor). He answered all of their questions and flirted like crazy.
He was enjoying the one-on-one with mommy, maybe a little too much.

Loving that they brought him the exact breakfast he asked for and he got to eat it in bed.

Playing with some toys.

Getting goofy
He was a chatter box and was loving the attention and I began to worry that he would think a stay in the hospital was "fun." But a few hours later when he was getting stir crazy and missing his brothers and Daddy (who was at home cooking the Thanksgiving bird) he broke down and decided he didn't want to be there anymore.

Here he is trying to change the clock ahead so the nurses would think it was time for us to leave!
We were released late in the afternoon and were able to spend some time with Tate's family and Aunt Peggi and Uncle John visiting from Georgia.


The next day we had a fun Thanksgiving hosted by Auntie Kiki, Auntie Nancy, Grammy & Poppy and celebrated Auntie Kiki's Birthday. (I must have been too tired to take photos - sorry :(
Little did we know that Jackson had picked up a nasty stomach bug either at the hospital or at the doctor's follow up the next day. The boys all got it (including Tate) than my sisters, my niece and parents got it. Tate's parents and sister got it. It spread like wildfire. It was unpleasant in so many ways. By the grace of God I never got it.
Everyone seems to be on the upswing. So as I reflect on this past Thanksgiving, despite all the bumps in the road, I find I am even more aware of my blessings. I am thankful for health, for the great care everyone gave Jackson, for family and friends and all the prayers and offers to help. I found myself realizing that sometimes it's in the midst of tough times that you realize how really good you have it.
This song by Christian artist Matt Redman has been tossing around in my head since Thanksgiving day so I wanted to share it:

Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

1 Comments:

At December 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM , Blogger auntienancy said...

Loved the cute pics of Jackson. He is a big flirt - wasn't surprised to hear that report! I loved your perspective sister - I know it was a LONG couple of weeks for you. And I love that worship song. I've sung it a million times at church or in the car - but it was different just sitting here reading it. Really caused me to focus on the words more. Thank you for sharing that. And thank you for the great reminder of how we do need to Praise Him - no matter our circumstances. Because they will constantly change - but He never will! I'm glad for that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home